Your race starts well before you take your mark.
- Begin to focus on your upcoming event the moment you head over to the blocks.
- Take slow, deep breaths.
- Stretch a little and elevate your heart rate. (Try pogo jumps, jumping jacks, etc.)
- Smile. It releases anxiety and calms you down.
- Check for your name on the timer's sheet.
- Put on your goggles and begin to visualize a perfect race.
- At the appropriate time, climb up on the block.
- Wrap the big toe of your front foot over the edge of the block.
- Stand up straight and tall.
- Take one more deep breath and listen carefully.
When you hear the beep, EXPLODE off the block.
SQUEEZE your streamline as tight as possible.